This is a translation of the poem 青青河畔草 from 古詩十九首 (Nineteen Old Poems).
鬱鬱園中柳 yù yù yuán zhōng liǔ [lush] [lush] [court] [in] [willow] Lush, lush, willows in the courtyard.
盈盈樓上女 yíng yíng lóu shàng nǚ [full] [full] [floor] [upper] [woman] A voluptuous woman on the upper floor,
皎皎當窗牖 jiǎo jiǎo dāng chuāng yǒu [bright] [bright] [just at] [window] [lattice] Stands radiantly behind a window.
娥娥紅粉糚 é é hóng fěn zhuāng [beautiful] [beautiful] [red] [powder] [make-up] Beautiful in red make-up,
纖纖出素手 xiān xiān chū sùshǒu [delicate] [delicate] [put forth] [white] [hand] She gracefully extends a pale hand.
昔為唱家女 xí wèi chàng jiā nǚ [former] [be] [sing] [house] [girl] Previously in a house of singing girls,
今為蕩子夫 jīn wéi dàng zi fu [now] [be] [wandering vagrant] [wife] Now the wife of a wandering vagrant.
蕩子行不歸 dàng zi xíng bù guī [wandering vagrant] [travel] [not] [return] The wanderer travels and does not return;
空床難獨守 kōng chuáng nán dú shǒu [empty] [bed] [hard] [alone] [keep] An empty bed is hard to bear alone.
青青河畔草 from the Nineteen Old Poems (Han dynasty 207BCE – 220CE)
Series: Nineteen Old Poems
- 行行重行行 Translation - Marching On and On
- 青青河畔草 Translation - Green, Green, Grass on the Riverbank (this article)
- 青青陵上柏 translation - Green, Green, Cypress on the Mound
- 今日良宴會 translation – Today we hold a splendid feast
- 西北有高樓 translation - A Tall Tower in the Northwest
- 涉江采芙蓉 translation - Crossing the River to Pick Hibiscus
- 明月皎夜光 translation - The Clear Moon Shines Brightly by Night
- 冉冉孤生竹 translation - Frail Bamboo Growing Alone
- 庭中有奇樹 translation - In the Courtyard there is a Strange Tree
- 迢迢牽牛星 translation - So Remote, the Draught Ox Star
- 迴車駕言邁 translation - I turn the carriage, pull the reins and set off
- 東城高且長 translation - The Eastern Wall is High and Long
- 驅車上東門 translation - I Ride My Chariot from the Upper East Gate
- 去者日以疏 translation - The Departed Are More Distant Daily
- 生年不滿百 translation - The Years of Life Reach Not One Hundred
- 凜凜歲云暮 translation - Bitterly Cold, the Year Ends
- 孟冬寒氣至 translation - In the First Month of Winter, Cold Air Arrives