Translation of the Chinese poem 庭中有奇樹, the ninth poem in the Han dynasty collection 古詩十九首 (Nineteen Old Poems).
庭中有奇樹 tíng zhōng yǒu qí shù [court] [in] [has] [strange] [tree] In the courtyard there is a strange tree.
綠葉發華滋 lǜ yè fā huá zī [green] [leaf] [send out] [flowery] [excite] Flowers burst forth from green leaves;
攀條折其榮 pān tiáo zhé qí róng [pill] [item] [break] [its] [glory] I break off the most splendid,
將以遺所思 qiāng yǐ yí suǒ sī [desire] [take] [leave with] [that which] [think of] desiring to give it to the one I long for.
馨香盈懷袖 xīn xiāng yíng huái xiù [fragrant] [sweet] [fill] [breast] [sleeve] The sweet fragrance fills my breast and sleeves.
路遠莫致之 lù yuǎn mò zhì zhī [road] [far] [there is none] [deliver] [it] But the road is long and there is no way to deliver it.
此物何足貢 cǐ wù hé zú gòng [this] [thing] [how] [sufficient] [gift] How could this thing be a sufficient gift?
但感別經時 dàn gǎn bié jīng shí [only] [move] [part] [pass] [time] Only because I am moved by how long ago we parted.
Series: Nineteen Old Poems
- 行行重行行 Translation - Marching On and On
- 青青河畔草 Translation - Green, Green, Grass on the Riverbank
- 青青陵上柏 translation - Green, Green, Cypress on the Mound
- 今日良宴會 translation – Today we hold a splendid feast
- 西北有高樓 translation - A Tall Tower in the Northwest
- 涉江采芙蓉 translation - Crossing the River to Pick Hibiscus
- 明月皎夜光 translation - The Clear Moon Shines Brightly by Night
- 冉冉孤生竹 translation - Frail Bamboo Growing Alone
- 庭中有奇樹 translation - In the Courtyard there is a Strange Tree (this article)
- 迢迢牽牛星 translation - So Remote, the Draught Ox Star
- 迴車駕言邁 translation - I turn the carriage, pull the reins and set off
- 東城高且長 translation - The Eastern Wall is High and Long
- 驅車上東門 translation - I Ride My Chariot from the Upper East Gate
- 去者日以疏 translation - The Departed Are More Distant Daily
- 生年不滿百 translation - The Years of Life Reach Not One Hundred
- 凜凜歲云暮 translation - Bitterly Cold, the Year Ends
- 孟冬寒氣至 translation - In the First Month of Winter, Cold Air Arrives