青青陵上柏 qīng qīng líng shàng bǎi [green] [green] [mound] [on] [cypress] Green is the cypress on the mound,
磊磊澗中石 lěi lěi jiàn zhōng shí [rock pile] [rock pile] [stream] [in] [stone] heaped are the stones in the stream.
人生天地間 rén shēng tiān dì jiān [man] [live] [Heaven] [Earth] [between] Man lives between Heaven and Earth,
忽如遠行客 hū rú yuǎn xíng kè [suddenly] [like] [far] [travel] [guest] suddenly like a guest travelling from afar.
斗酒相娛樂 dǒu jiǔ xiāng yú lè [measure] [wine] [mutually] [amuse] [cheerful] Let us enjoy a measure of wine together;
聊厚不為薄 liáo hòu bù wéi báo [chat] [generous] [not] [be] [thin] our friendship is rife, let it not be sparse.
驅車策怒馬 qū chē cè nù mǎ [urge] [chariot] [control] [stubborn] [horse] Yoke the chariot and whip the stubborn horses,
遊戲宛與洛 yóu xì wǎn yǔ luò [roam] [play] [_Wan_] [and] [_Luo_] travelling to to have fun in Wan and Luo.
洛中何鬱鬱 luò zhōng hé yùyù [_Luo_] [in] [how] [dense] [dense] How full of life it is in Luoyang;
冠帶自相索 guān dài zì xiāng suǒ [hat] [lead] [each other] [search] officials rush around together,
長衢羅夾巷 zhǎng qú luó jiā xiàng [long] [street] [gauze] [intersperse] [alley] long boulevards intertwine with narrow alleys,
王候多第宅 wáng hou duō dì zhái [royal] [noble] [many] [count] [residence] the mansions of aristocrats are many,
兩宮遙相望 liǎng gōng yáo xiāng wàng [two] [palace] [far away] [each other gaze] and the two royal palaces gaze at each other from afar.
雙闕百餘尺 shuāng què bǎi yú chǐ [pair] [tower] [hundred] [excess] [foot] The pair of towers in excess of a hundred feet high.
極宴娛心意 jí yàn yú xīn yì [utmost] [feast] [amuse] [heart] [intention] let us delight in the pleasures of our hearts.
戚戚何所迫 qi qi hé suǒ pò [sorrowful] [sorrowful] [what] [that which is] [force] As for gloominess - what could make us unhappy?
青青陵上柏 from the Nineteen Old Poems (Han dynasty 207BCE – 220CE)
Series: Nineteen Old Poems
- 行行重行行 Translation - Marching On and On
- 青青河畔草 Translation - Green, Green, Grass on the Riverbank
- 青青陵上柏 translation - Green, Green, Cypress on the Mound (this article)
- 今日良宴會 translation – Today we hold a splendid feast
- 西北有高樓 translation - A Tall Tower in the Northwest
- 涉江采芙蓉 translation - Crossing the River to Pick Hibiscus
- 明月皎夜光 translation - The Clear Moon Shines Brightly by Night
- 冉冉孤生竹 translation - Frail Bamboo Growing Alone
- 庭中有奇樹 translation - In the Courtyard there is a Strange Tree
- 迢迢牽牛星 translation - So Remote, the Draught Ox Star
- 迴車駕言邁 translation - I turn the carriage, pull the reins and set off
- 東城高且長 translation - The Eastern Wall is High and Long
- 驅車上東門 translation - I Ride My Chariot from the Upper East Gate
- 去者日以疏 translation - The Departed Are More Distant Daily
- 生年不滿百 translation - The Years of Life Reach Not One Hundred
- 凜凜歲云暮 translation - Bitterly Cold, the Year Ends
- 孟冬寒氣至 translation - In the First Month of Winter, Cold Air Arrives