行行重行行 xíng xíng chóng xíng xíng [walk] [walk] [again] [walk] [walk] Marching on and on,
與君生別離 yǔ jūn shēng biélí [from] [you] [live] [separate] [leave] Living far away from you.
相去萬餘里 xiāng qù wàn yú lǐ [each other] [remove] [ten thousand] [excess] [mile] We stand more than a thousand miles apart,
各在天一涯 gè zài tiān yī yá [each] [at] [sky] [one] [horizon] Each of us at opposite ends of the sky.
道路阻且長 dào lù zǔ qiě zhǎng [way] [road] [obstructed] [and] [long] The way between us is long and obstructed,
會面安可知 huì miàn ān kě zhī [meet] [face] [secure] [can] [know] Who knows if we will see each other again?
胡馬依北風 hú mǎ yī běi fēng [barbarian] [horse] [depend] [north] [wind] The barbarian horses need the winds of the North,
越鳥巢南枝 yuè niǎo cháo nán zhī [_Yue_] [bird] [nest] [south] [branch] The birds of Yue nest in the branches of the South.
相去日已遠 xiāng qù rì yǐ yuǎn [each other] [remove] [day] [already] [far] Every day we grow further apart,
衣帶日已緩 yī dài rì yǐ huǎn [clothes] [belt] [day] [already] [loose] Every day my clothes become looser.
浮雲蔽白日 fú yún bì bái rì [drift] [cloud] [conceal] [white] [sun] The drifting clouds obscure the sunlight,
遊子不顧反 yóu zǐ bù gù fǎn [wanderer] [not] [consider] [go back] The wanderer does not consider going back.
思君令人老 sī jūn lìng rén lǎo [long for] [you] [make] [person] [old] Longing for you makes one grow old,
歲月忽已晚 suì yuè hū yǐ wǎn [year] [month] [suddenly] [already] [late] The months and years are suddenly far behind me.
棄捐勿復道 qì juān wù fù dào [reject] [abandon] [do not] [again] [speak] But let’s not speak any more of this rejection;
努力加餐飯 nǔ lì jiā cān fàn [exert] [strength] [add] [food] [food] Please make sure you are eating well.
行行重行行 from the Nineteen Old Poems (Han dynasty 207BCE - 220CE)
Series: Nineteen Old Poems
- 行行重行行 Translation - Marching On and On (this article)
- 青青河畔草 Translation - Green, Green, Grass on the Riverbank
- 青青陵上柏 translation - Green, Green, Cypress on the Mound
- 今日良宴會 translation – Today we hold a splendid feast
- 西北有高樓 translation - A Tall Tower in the Northwest
- 涉江采芙蓉 translation - Crossing the River to Pick Hibiscus
- 明月皎夜光 translation - The Clear Moon Shines Brightly by Night
- 冉冉孤生竹 translation - Frail Bamboo Growing Alone
- 庭中有奇樹 translation - In the Courtyard there is a Strange Tree
- 迢迢牽牛星 translation - So Remote, the Draught Ox Star
- 迴車駕言邁 translation - I turn the carriage, pull the reins and set off
- 東城高且長 translation - The Eastern Wall is High and Long
- 驅車上東門 translation - I Ride My Chariot from the Upper East Gate
- 去者日以疏 translation - The Departed Are More Distant Daily
- 生年不滿百 translation - The Years of Life Reach Not One Hundred
- 凜凜歲云暮 translation - Bitterly Cold, the Year Ends
- 孟冬寒氣至 translation - In the First Month of Winter, Cold Air Arrives