驅車上東門 qū chē shàng dōng mén [drive] [chariot] [upper] [east] [gate] I drive my chariot to the upper east gate,
遙望郭北墓 yáo wàng guō běi mù [distant] [gaze] [city wall] [north] [tombs] and gaze at the tombs beyond the northern city wall.
白楊何蕭蕭 bái yáng hé xiāo xiāo [white] [poplar] [how] [desolate] [desolate] How desolate the white poplars are.
松柏夾廣路 sōng bǎi jiá guǎng lù [pines] [cypress] [lined] [spread] [road] The pines and cypress lined out down the road,
下有陳死人 xià yǒu chén sǐ rén [below] [has] [old] [dead] [people] and below are the ancient dead.
杳杳即長暮 yǎo yǎo jí zhǎng mù [dark] [dark] [and] [long] [evening] It’s deepest black in their endless night,
潛寐黃泉下 qián mèi huáng quán xià [submerge] [sleep] [yellow] [spring] [below] as they sleep submerged in the yellow fountains.
千載永不寤 qiān zǎi yǒng bù wù [thousand] [year] [forever] [not] [awake] They will never wake in a thousand years,
浩浩陰陽移 hào hào yīn yáng yí [vast] [vast] [positive] [negative] [shift] through vast changes in forces positive and negative forces.
年命如朝露 nián mìng rú zhāo lù [year] [fate] [like] [morning] [dew] The years fate grants us are but morning dew -
人生忽如寄 rén shēng hū rú jì [man] [life] [suddenly] [like] [reside] the life of men is but a brief residence.
壽無金石固 shòu wú jīn shí gù [longevity] [not have] [metal] [stone] [certain] Long life has not the certainty of metal and stone,
萬歲更相送 wàn suì gèng xiāng sòng [ten thousand] [year] [more] [each other] [see off] as another ten thousand years are sent on their way.
賢聖莫能度 xián shèng mò néng dù [wise] [sage] [none who] [can] [limit] Of the wise and the sage, there are none who can hold it back.
服食求神仙 fú shí qiú shénxiān [take medicine] [food] [seek] [spirit] [immortal] In medicine and food, some seek immortality,
多為要所誤 duō wèi yào suǒ wù [many] [do] [will] [that which] [harm] but in this way many end up poisoned.
不如飲美酒 bù rú yǐn měi jiǔ [not] [as] [drink] [beautiful] [wine] Far better to drink exquisite wines,
被服紈與素 bèi fú wán yǔ sù [cover] [garment] [white silk] [and] [plain] and be clothed in plain white silk.
- Chinese Lyricism (Burton Watson) – has a lot of quality translations and analysis.
- Popular Songs and Ballads of Han China (Anne Birrell) – more general insight into verse from this period.
Series: Nineteen Old Poems
- 行行重行行 Translation - Marching On and On
- 青青河畔草 Translation - Green, Green, Grass on the Riverbank
- 青青陵上柏 translation - Green, Green, Cypress on the Mound
- 今日良宴會 translation – Today we hold a splendid feast
- 西北有高樓 translation - A Tall Tower in the Northwest
- 涉江采芙蓉 translation - Crossing the River to Pick Hibiscus
- 明月皎夜光 translation - The Clear Moon Shines Brightly by Night
- 冉冉孤生竹 translation - Frail Bamboo Growing Alone
- 庭中有奇樹 translation - In the Courtyard there is a Strange Tree
- 迢迢牽牛星 translation - So Remote, the Draught Ox Star
- 迴車駕言邁 translation - I turn the carriage, pull the reins and set off
- 東城高且長 translation - The Eastern Wall is High and Long
- 驅車上東門 translation - I Ride My Chariot from the Upper East Gate (this article)
- 去者日以疏 translation - The Departed Are More Distant Daily
- 生年不滿百 translation - The Years of Life Reach Not One Hundred
- 凜凜歲云暮 translation - Bitterly Cold, the Year Ends
- 孟冬寒氣至 translation - In the First Month of Winter, Cold Air Arrives