The syllable ‘sa’ in hiragana is written さ.
さ ‘sa’ hiragana stroke order
さ has two strokes:
- A horizontal one from left to right.
- A stroke that starts vertically down through the first one, then out to the left before hooking under itself.
さ ‘sa’ hiragana mnemonics
See also: Making mnemonics
This image should help you to remember how to write ‘sa’ in hiragana by associating the letters sa with the shape of さ. Remember that the English words used here are not a pronunciation guide. They help you to remember how to write さ, not how to say it.
To learn pronunciation you need to get a lot of listening and speaking practice done. Online services like [JapanesePod 101](/recommended/japanesepod-101/” rel="external nofollow “Learn Japanese [affiliate link]") can help with that.
If you have any other mnemonics for さ, please share them in the comments below.
- [Kana Pict-o-Graphix: Mnemonics for Japanese Hiragana and Katakana](http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1880656183/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=1880656183&linkCode=as2&tag=easasistu-21" rel="external nofollow)
- [Let’s Learn Hiragana: First Book of Japanese Writing](http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0870117092/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0870117092&linkCode=as2&tag=easasistu-21" rel="external nofollow)
- Hiragana mnemonics on asahi-net.or.jp
- Hiragana mnemonics on japanese.gatech.edu