The day before yesterday, I tried to enter the date format that appears on posts as this: “[year] 年 [month] 月 [day] 日”. The theme obviously didn’t like it and decided to completely reset to default. I thought I had backups but as sods’ law would have it they didn’t work when I needed them. So I’m stuck with the web-design disaster you now see until I find time to redo it all.
If anyone’s interested, the error occurred on WordPress 3.4.1 with the theme Atahualpa 3.7.7. I’m guessing it’s because the database or code for the theme wasn’t set up to handle UTF8 characters and freaked out when I tried to use them. Lessons learned:
- The world of computing still isn’t up to speed with UTF-8.
- Make more backups and use a variety of back-up options in case one fails.
- Never delete backups (I know I used to have an exported copy of the theme’s settings, but I either or lost it or deleted it because I had other backups anyway)
If you found this useful, consider helping me out in return.