The syllable ‘so’ in hiragana is written そ.
そ ‘so’ hiragana stroke order
そ has one quite complicated stroke:
- It starts with a Z-like shape before curving down to the left and back under itself.
そ ‘so’ hiragana mnemonic
See also: Making mnemonics
This image should help you to remember how to write ‘so’ in hiragana by associating the letters so with the shape of そ. Remember that the English words used here are not a pronunciation guide. They help you to remember how to write そ, not how to say it.
To learn pronunciation you need to get a lot of listening and speaking practice done. Online services like JapanesePod 101 can help with that.
If you have any other mnemonics for そ, please share them in the comments below.
- Kana Pict-o-Graphix: Mnemonics for Japanese Hiragana and Katakana
- Let’s Learn Hiragana: First Book of Japanese Writing
- Hiragana mnemonics on asahi-net.or.jp
- Hiragana mnemonics on japanese.gatech.edu
If you found this useful, consider helping me out in return.