The syllable ‘ro’ in hiragana is written ろ.
ろ ‘ro’ hiragana stroke order
ろ has just one stroke:
- It starts horizontally to the right, cuts back down to the left, then curves round underneath.
ろ ‘ro’ hiragana mnemonic
See also: How to make mnemonics
This images should help you to remember how to write ‘ro’ in hiragana by associating the letters ro with the shape of ろ. Remember that the English words used here are not a pronunciation guide. They help you to remember how to write ろ, not how to say it.
To learn pronunciation you need to get a lot of listening and speaking practice done. Online services like JapanesePod 101 can help with that.
ろ ‘ro’ hiragana origins
ろ is derived from the kanji 呂 (ro) . This is pronounced lǚ in Mandarin Chinese (hanzi) and lye in Korean (hanja).
- Kana Pict-o-Graphix: Mnemonics for Japanese Hiragana and Katakana
- Let’s Learn Hiragana: First Book of Japanese Writing
- Hiragana mnemonics on asahi-net.or.jp
- Hiragana mnemonics on japanese.gatech.edu
- Japanese Hiragana – Omniglot
If you found this useful, consider helping me out in return.