The sound ‘n’ in hiragana is written ん.
ん ‘n’ hiragana stroke order
ん has just one stroke:
- It moves down to the left before flicking up again into a double curl out to the right.
ん ‘n’ hiragana mnemonic
See also: How to make mnemonics
This images should help you to remember how to write ‘n’ in hiragana by associating the letter n with the shape of ん. Remember that the English words used here are not a pronunciation guide. They help you to remember how to write ん, not how to say it.
To learn pronunciation you need to get a lot of listening and speaking practice done. Online services like JapanesePod 101 can help with that.
ん ‘n’ hiragana origins
ん is derived from the kanji 无 (nai) . This is pronounced wú in Mandarin Chinese (hanzi) and mwu in Korean (hanja).
- Kana Pict-o-Graphix: Mnemonics for Japanese Hiragana and Katakana
- Let’s Learn Hiragana: First Book of Japanese Writing
- Hiragana mnemonics on asahi-net.or.jp
- Hiragana mnemonics on japanese.gatech.edu
- Japanese Hiragana – Omniglot
If you found this useful, consider helping me out in return.