This is a translation and annotation of the poem 怨情 (Yuàn Qíng), “Resentment”, by the Tang dynasty poet 李白 (Li Bai). The poem is #234 in the collection 300 Tang Poems, and is also known by its first line: 美人卷珠簾 (Měirén Juǎn Zhū Lián).
[beautiful] [person] [roll up] [pearl] [curtain]
A beautiful woman folds a pearl curtain;
[deep] [bear] [frown] [beautiful woman]
a deep frown on a beautiful face:
蛾眉 is a metaphor for a beautiful woman.
[but] [see] [tear] [trace] [wet]
though one sees wet tear stains,
[not] [know] [heart] [hate] [who]
one does not know whom she laments in her heart.
If you notice a mistake or disagree with the translation, please comment below to improve this resource.
- 300 Tang Poems (Waters, Farman, Lunde)
- Fifty Five T’ang Poems (Hugh M. Stimson)
- Poems of the Late T’ang (A. C. Graham)
- Translation of 怨情 into English at China Page
- Translation of 怨情 into English by 南緯28°